- Know ye not , brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth ?
- For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth ; but if the husband be dead , she is loosed from the law of her husband.
- So then if, while her husband liveth , she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead , she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
- Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
- For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
- But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held ; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
- What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid . Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said , Thou shalt not covet .